Sunday, October 5, 2008

II- My Muse

II-My Muse
How could I have forgotten my first crush? Oh boy, this list is going to get a whole lot longer than 31 flavors. So... here we go. When I was nine years old I met the boy against whom I would judge all other boys for years to come. His family moved into my ward and he was in my Primary class. He was truly the most beautiful boy my friend Sarah and I had ever seen. He had dark brown hair and beautiful eyes. It was crush at first sight for both of us. We would spend hours lying on my bed giggling and talking about My Muse. He was the epitome of beauty for two nine year old girls in Wyoming. But, sadly, he moved away when I was 11 or 12. But, that would not be the end of him.

When I was 16 I was going to EFY, a church camp in Provo, UT. I found out somehow (I don't remember exactly) that his family lived in Rock Springs. It was perfect because my dad had an office there, and I was driving there as the midpoint and then Sarah's mom would take us to Provo (my parents thought I was too young at 16 to drive by myself through Salt Lake). So, my saint of a mother called his mom, because they had been visiting teaching companions and she said I should come over to say hello.

I drove down as giddy as a school girl (as I most often am). I got dressed and went over to his house. Problem? He was leaving for work and I did not even see him as I arrived. So, there I was chatting with his mom and sister in their kitchen when his mom got a call on the phone. Here is how it went (per his mother, I could only hear her side).
Muse- "Who was that beautiful girl I saw walking into our house"
his mom- "Do you recognize her?"
Muse- "No, who is she?"
his mom- "She is Megan. You used to be in primary together in Casper."
Muse- "How long is she staying? She should come and see me at work."

So, obviously, I took his sister with me and we headed off to his work, Arby's (remember, this was high school). Honestly, he was more beautiful at age 16 than he had been at nine. He was tall with that gorgeous dark hair and amazing blue eyes. And now, he had a great muscular body to match. We talked for a few minutes and then he asked me to go to ice cream that night. And so, my first crush also was my first real date.

So, we met up, he asked his dad if he could borrow his car. Again, doors were opened, he was a true gentleman and used words like "heck" and "darn" (I love it when guys use those words, somehow it is just really appealing). Then, I headed off to Provo for EFY.

At the end of the week, I stayed in Rock Springs again. And again, we went out. We went and saw Armageddon (I don't know how I remember some of these things, but I do). He asked if his brother could come and I said it would be fine.

As we walked up to the ticket counter, there was the inevitable question of who was going to pay going on in my mind. I told him to go ahead (a method I still use today), and he told me that I should go first. OK, I was paying for myself. Then, right as I stepped up to buy my ticket, he jumped in and said "two please." Yes, I revelled in that story for years, and even smile about it now.

OK, picture it, we are in the movies. I am sitting between he and his brother. I am exhausted from the camp I was at and truly could not stay awake. And, so I fall asleep, but not on my Muse's shoulder, but on his brother's shoulder. Ouch!!!!! I fell asleep on the shoulder of the wrong guy. Shockingly, he did not ask me out again. He was my first crush, and my first date, and I always wanted him to be my first kiss, but I guess that didn't happen.

We would run into each other for years to come, and my friend Sarah and I would continue to revel in the past. Then, again, thank you myspace, right after I my mission, I looked him up and we chatted. He was a car salesman, who never went to college. But he did ask if he could come and see me sometime. I said yes, he never did and is no longer on myspace. Oh well. He was a fabulous muse.

No comments: